Chart Geany

Discussion forums about Chart Geany

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-28 04:29:07

TaoHawaii

Feature Request

Just a few notes. First thanks! I started writing my own application and before I even started on the GUI I stumbled across this.  Now I'm looking to integrate my data heuristics into your opensource application. In order to get this to work for me I had to use QT5.5 (on windows 10). The changes required for compilation were minimal.
I plan to leverage the features of version 2.0.2 while adding features, mostly things others aren't interested in. But one thing I need to implement is the ability to run metrics on 2 different stocks, to compare and contrast over time.  This is something a lot of other software has. I see that is you extended the existing database schema this would create n*n tables for each realtionship metric. I assume this is in the name of efficiency. Do you think this is the best way to go, or would it be better to dynamically calculate symbol relationships at runtime?
One last question. There appears to be an update data function but it seems to do a full data refresh instead of a delta. Am I wrong about this? Is this planned for future implementation?

#2 2015-12-28 05:58:34

Lucas
Primary developer
Website

Re: Feature Request

Welcome!
What you actually ask is comparative charts. The best approach to implement this feature is to adjust the ruler on the right. This is not easy but I think it is the easiest way to go.
I think it is better to dynamically calculate symbol relationships at runtime. It will be easier to find the overall minimum and maximum adjusted values of the current chart snapshot.
The full data refresh is needed because Yahoo finance changes the adjusted close price backwards every time a stock splits or pays dividend. So the only solution for this is to redownload and recalculate everything.
By the way: Qt 5 has some serious memory consumption issues under Windows 10 x64 according to my tests. Under W10 x32 works fine.

Primary developer and project leader of Chart Geany

Board footer